As many WiO Moms can contest, providing healthy meals for their children is a must. However, finding healthy recipes they like can be a challenge! Well, fear not below are three great healthy recipes that your children will be sure to love!
- For the meatloaf cupcakes:
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.25 pounds ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (preferably reduced-sodium)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 425° F. Liberally coat muffin tray with oil spray and set aside. Coat a large skillet with oil spray and saute the onions, peppers, and carrots over medium heat until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, egg whites, cooled vegetables, taco seasoning packet, and ketchup. Using your hands, mush the ingredients together until they are fully incorporated. Divide the meat mixture between 8 muffin cups, smoothing the tops of each mini-meatloaf to make it level. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Whipped sweet potato frosting:Bake or microwave 4 medium sweet potatoes, remove the skin, and mash the potatoes with 1 tablespoon skim milk and 1 to 2 tablespoons whipped butter (or healthy soft tub spread). Add kosher salt to taste. Frost each mini meatloaf with a large dollop of whipped sweet potato. Serve the extra whipped sweet potato on the side.
2) Apple Cartwheels- We grabbed this perfect lunch meal from tasteofhome.com. Food that looks fun it is a big hit with the kids!
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 4 medium unpeeled Red Delicious apples, core
3) Sweet & crunchy chick peas- We found this recipe on The Sneaky Chef Blog! Looks simple and delicious!
Rinse a can of chick peas, spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 30 minutes (till crunchy). Season to taste with cinnamon sugar or sea salt, chili powder, etc.