Winter Fun With....Brussels Sprouts?!?!
Winter is almost over! Why not capitalize on some great winter vegetables...brussels sprouts! Yes, you heard us right, we said brussels sprouts. The same vegetable someone in your life has tried to force you to eat!
We are here to tell you that brussels sprouts have gotten a bad wrap - they are a cannonball of nutrition! High in potassium (perfect after a workout!!), vitamin C, and a good source of fiber, not to mention they are a cruciferous vegetable which have been shown to help thyroid function and cancer protection.
We created the perfect recipe that will make you love this funny little vegetable. It'll be perfect as a side dish or a vegetarian dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day. Plus it only takes a total of 30-35-minutes to create. Good for a night when you get home a little late from a WiO workout - wink, wink! For our vegetarian and/or gluten-free friends, this is safe for you!
Baked Bushel of Brussels!
Recipe created by Lisa Bruno for WiO
1-can of garbanzo beans
1-container of brussels sprouts (cut in half)
2-handfuls of cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
Personalized seasonings - we used crushed red pepper, cilantro, pepper and a little garlic powder
Approximate total calories - 600
- Pre-heat oven to 300-degrees
- Place halved brussels sprouts in a microwave safe bowl with a splash of water in it, covered with a paper towel for 2-3-minutes
- Remove from bowl and place in roasting pan with halved cherry tomatoes, can of garbanzo beans (drained, you can leave a little liquid in the can and add to your pan so it doesn't dry out), and halved uncooked cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle personalized seasonings in the pan, add olive oil to coat pan and ingredients, squeeze whole lemon and toss with a spoon.
- Cover with foil and place in oven for 15-20-minutes, then remove cover bake for another 5-8-minutes. Check tenderness of brussels sprouts. If you would like to carmalize a little, place in broiler once baked for 3-minutes.
Serve as a side dish or split in half as a meal and leftovers the next day.