We hope you've been getting outdoors this summer! We've certainly been taking advantage of how super close we are to the Atlantic and some pretty beautiful beaches and parks, which is why we've also been making sure to get to class during the week too! But we know that enjoying the final days of summer involves travel -- and you can't always be in Hoboken to get to class -- but that doesn't mean you can't squeeze in some exercises on your own to look your best in your summer wardrobe before switching out those tank tops for sweaters!
So we've compiled a series of specially targeted exercises that you can do pretty much anywhere!
Our first Work it Outdoors video targets your core -- a complex series of muscles, including much more than your abs. Pretty much everything but your arms and legs!
Can't make it in for a class or want an extra little push to tone up your core?! Try these exercises!
Hoboken Series 1: CORE
1. Weighted Side Bends. Stand with feet hip-width distance apart. One weight in each hand. Bend at the waist and reach right hand down towards the floor. Come back center and repeat on the left. Be sure to get in 3 sets of 10 reps on each side.
2. Twisted Lunges. Start with your hands behind your head or with a weight held straight out in front of you. Step forward with your right foot into a lunge and twist to the right. Come back center and repeat on the left leg.
3. Forearm Plank Challenge. Hold for 30-seconds, then build by adding another 30-seconds for a full minute plank. Then take a sidearm plank on each forearm for the same amount of time.
4. Plank Up-Downs w/ a Twist. Walk your hands out to a straight arm plank. Bring your right knee into your left elbow. Repeat with the left leg. Then walk your hands back to your feet and roll up to standing. Do as many as you can in a minute!
5. Russian Twists. Find your balance on your sits-bones, feet lifted into tabletop position. Twist right and left trying to reach each elbow to the floor - Better yet, hold onto a weight!
Watch our video for a visual tutorial of each exercise! Stay tuned for more Work it Outdoors videos in collaboration with @meybirdcreative.