If you missed last week's feature CLICK HERE to read all about our Working Gal of the month, Chrissy Kreisel!
This week, we are putting up three easy, healthy and delicious recipes that will fit perfectly with our Working Gal's busy life!
BREAKFAST- Part of creating a healthy lifestyle is making sure to eat breakfast everyday! Oatmeal, is packed fiber which fills and energizes us, making it the perfect meal to start out the day.
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup water
1 serving vanilla protein powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon natural jam or jelly
1. Combine oats and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and let oatmeal simmer until 90% of the water is absorbed.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in protein powder and vanilla.
4. Pour oatmeal into a bowl and top with peanut butter and jelly/jam.
LUNCH-Do the prep for this one the night before and you will have a sandwich ready for work that will out do any Italian deli!
3 teaspoons salt
8 ounces whole wheat fusilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 slender zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
5 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 lemon, rind peeled in strips
Small pinch red pepper flakes
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
5 large basil leaves, sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water with 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil; add the fusilli. Cook until al dente.
2. Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini, scallions, pine nuts, lemon peel, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, tossing frequently, until zucchini is well browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer zucchini to a serving bowl. Remove lemon peel from pan. Mince 1/2 teaspoon of the peel and discard the rest. Squeeze half the lemon over the zucchini.
4. Turn heat to medium-high and swirl in remaining olive oil. Add the chicken, minced lemon peel, and remaining salt; cook, stirring, until golden, about 7 minutes.
5. Drain fusilli, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add fusilli, zucchini, and reserved cooking water to skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and top with the basil and, if using, Parmesan.
Thanks to Fitness Magazine for all of these recipe finds!